Wednesday, February 6, 2008

He's Officially a Big Boy

Since Dylan was born six months ago, he has been sleeping in our room - in his bassinet or sometimes in our bed, or even on us (!!). Mike and I have been putting off the day Dylan had to start sleeping in his own room. As much as we loved having him in our room and, at times, in our bed, we had to transition him into his crib, mainly because he outgrew both his bassinets. It was bound to happen... at some point.

The night we finally decided to try having him sleep in his room was a lot harder on me than him or Mike. I made Mike check the motion monitor at least 10x, and the windows 5x. I was paranoid that someone would go through the window and steal our baby.. seriously!!! Every noise I heard through the video monitor woke me up. Needless to say, I was up every hour checking the video monitor just to make sure he's still there and he was OK. Every night for the next three days were just as bad. Mike, of course, just snored away!!! It was definitely tough having him leave our room.

Now that we are a little bit more used to having him sleep in his room, Mike and I are actually enjoying having our room all to ourselves. We no longer have to tiptoe at night, we can watch TV with volume (we've actually become expert caption readers), and we can have conversations at night without having to whisper.

All in all, Dylan is happy in his room. As soon as we walk in his room in the morning, he is all smiles and laughs. He sleeps much better - waking only once at night. Mike and I, although we still talk about having him sleep with us on weekends, love our little freedom at night.

It bitter sweet - our baby is officially a big boy!

No comments: